Below is a carefully selected playlist of YouTube videos which focus on project-based learning best practices. Ready to be incorporated into PBL professional development sessions, each is tagged with an educational level: elementary, secondary, post-secondary, or multiple. Following each video is a set of questions that can be used as discussion prompts.
2016-09-19 - 2:22 - Post-secondary - Roger Williams University Talks About the Impact of WPI’s 2015 Institute on Project-based Learning: NEW!
- When you speak with other PBL educators, what aspects of their PBL experience you are most interested in learning about?
- Share a recent conference, workshop, or presentation that you attended that relates either directly or indirectly to PBL.
- If you were organizing a PBL conference for post-secondary educators, what topic sessions would you be sure to feature?
2015-05-12 - 6:28 - Elementary - Introduction to Project Based Learning (PBL) Process:
- What are the key takeaways from this video in terms of the essential features of project-based learning?
- Pick a PBL term that is used throughout the video and discuss its significance to your own school or university context.
- How would you need to adjust your pedagogical practices in order to incorporate PBL as explained in this video?
2014-09-19 - Post-secondary - WPI Students Reflect on the Value of Project Work (Video Playlist):
- What are the main takeaways from the students' reflections on their project work?
- How might the student reflections in this video series inform your own PBL practice?
- How do you encourage students to reflect on their PBL work in the projects you facilitate?
2014-06-26 - 6:30 - Multiple - Introduction to Project Based Learning (PBL) Process:
- This video emphasizes five key PBL principles: real world, core to learning, collaboration, student driven, and assessment. Discuss the significance of one of these principles in more detail.
- Reflecting on your own school or university context, how might you go about building real world connections between PBL and your teaching?
- This video is produced by Edutopia.org, one of the most popular educational websites. Browse the Edutopia.org website for articles about PBL. Pick one to discuss in detail.
2014-03-27 - 2:16 - Secondary - Innovations In Education: Project-Based Learning:
- Early on, the video identifies "critical thinking" as a key component of PBL. How is critical thinking supported by PBL in your teaching practice?
- The video recasts PBL teachers as "facilitators." What does this mean in practice for how teachers interact with students through PBL?
- The video posits that PBL can lead to fewer student suspensions and a higher graduation rate. Does this outcome seem reasonable to you?
2013-09-12 - 8:11 - Post-secondary - The AP50 Experience
- This video talks in detail about moving from a teacher-centered to a student-centered approach in a university Physics course. Would a similar student-centered approach work in your instructional context?
- Teamwork is an important component of this Harvard course. At the university level, how can instructors prepare students for collaborative project work?
- Would the pedagogical approach the video describes work in a social science or humanities university course?
2012-01-08 - 3:21 - Post-secondary - PBL Video Story - Island Team 2011:
- What were some of the online and offline communication strategies that the project team used to stay in touch with one another?
- Identify some of the effective project management practices the team employed in their project.
- The project team chose to make an adjustment to their project. How did they go about doing this in a way that ensured that the project did not go off track?
2010-04-23 - 5:34 - Secondary - Project Based Learning
- This video highlights how teachers in three different subject areas (history, English, and information processing) have collaborated together on PBL. In your teaching context, what three subjects might go well together?
- What benefits are associated with interdisciplinary PBL that involves multiple teachers working together?
- What might be some of the challenges?
2009-10-02 - 14:51 - Secondary - Project Based Learning at HTH:
- High Tech High, the focus of this video, is arguably the most well known PBL school in the U.S. What are some of the qualities of the school that endear it to PBL?
- Turn down the sound on the video and soak in the innovative physical design of the school and its "classrooms." How does the school's physical design inform its PBL practices (7:13)?
- What might be some of the important factors to consider in building a school wide PBL program from the ground up?